Earthenware equestrian tomb figure on a wooden base
- Object Number: STKMG:1949.P.992
- Simple Name: figure
- Full Name: equestrian tomb figure on horse
- Production Place: China
- Creation, production or manufacture details: carved
- Production Period:
- Summary: Earthenware equestrian tomb figure on a wooden base. Hollow interior, unglazed, carved decoration, the rider is modelled as if holding reins, seated on a saddle wearing a long robe. Northern Wei dynasty, 386-535AD.
- Terms:East Asian
- Terms:death & burial
- Additional Notes: This figure is a funerary sculpture, intended to accompany the deceased into the afterlife.
- Contact: Potteries Museum and Art Gallery