The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery is part of Stoke-on-Trent Museums Service. The museums service was established in 1911 with the Federation of the six towns of Stoke-on-Trent. The largest museum in the service, the Hanley Museum & Art Gallery, became the Stoke-on-Trent City Museum & Art Gallery when it moved to new premises in 1956, and the museum underwent major expansion in the late 1970s, winning the ‘Museum of the Year’ award in 1982. In 1998 the museum was rebranded as The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery (PMAG).
The museum’s collection of Staffordshire pottery is widely acknowledged as the finest in the world and other collections of fine and decorative arts, natural history,social history and archaeology have local, regional and national significance. The museum is fully accredited and all the collections, totalling more than 650,000 individual objects, are Designated collections. The museum is also now home to a number of artefacts from the Staffordshire Hoard, which PMAG bought along with Birmingham Museums in 2010.