Stoneware jar with two lug handles
- Object Number: 1949.P.948
- Simple Name: bowl
- Full Name:
- Production Place: Jiangxi
- Production Place: China
- Production Period:
- Summary: Stoneware jar with two lug handles. One handle is repaired. Apple green glaze on the outside and crackled, grey glaze on the inside. The apple green glaze is applied over a ge-type crackled base.
- Terms:East Asian
- Credit: Henry Bergen Collection
- Additional Notes: The apple green enamel was only used as an overall monochrome glaze from the Kangxi period onwards. The Kangxi green was generally pale in tone, unlike this example which is darker and more brilliant in colour. This dates the piece to the nineteenth century. The glaze is derived from copper. The crackled base and shapes of these pieces reflect an increased interest in archaic bronzes and Song dynasty ge and guan wares.
- Contact: Potteries Museum and Art Gallery