Giant punch pot featuring Bacchus and a drinking scene
- Object Number: 2887
- Simple Name: punch pot
- Production Place: Stoke-on-Trent
- Production Place: Staffordshire
- Production Place: England
- Creation, production or manufacture details: thrown
- Production Period:
- Summary: Giant punch pot featuring Bacchus and a drinking scene. In the shape of a giant teapot. The decoration on one side depicts a scene with two young men and semi-naked woman seated at a garden table drinking wine. The reverse features the figure of Bacchus, Roman god of wine and intoxication, sitting astride a barrel.
- Terms:101 Ceramic Highlights
- Terms:18th & 19th Century Staffordshire
- Credit: Thomas Twyford Bequest
- Additional Notes: This decoration is unusual as nudity and classical subjects were rarely shown of Staffordshire salt-glaze wares.The pot has cracked during firing but was still elaborately decorated, disguising the damage on the exterior.
- Contact: Potteries Museum and Art Gallery