Porcelain vase, flat pilgrim bottle shaped with Guyexuan style decoration
- Object Number: STKMG:1942.P.530.3
- Simple Name: vase
- Other Name: pilgrim bottle
- Production Place: Jingdezhen
- Production Place: China
- Production Period:
- Summary: Porcelain vase, flat pilgrim bottle shaped with Guyexuan style decoration. One panel has a pair of cranes amongst prunus blossom delicately painted on a white ground; the other two cats playing amongst rocks and bamboo. Inscription with three red seals of Lang Shining. Two zoomorphic heads with rings in their mouths have been applied on either side of the neck, painted in a mottled gilt and bronze colour.The remainder of the vase is decorated with a juxtaposed brightly coloured decoration on a yellow ground, typical of the style of the late Qianlong period. Floral and scroll decoration in pink, purple, red, blue and green enamels with a band of ruyi sceptres around the neck, blue key fret and flowers and ruyi sceptres under a gilt rim. The inside is glazed light green. The base has a band of pink and turquoise decoration and green base. Qianlong mark on base.
- Terms:East Asian
- Additional Notes: Lang Shining was the Chinese name of Giuseppe Castiglione (1688 - 1766), an Italian Jesuit lay brother who served as a missionary in China, where he became a painter at the court of Emperor Qianlong.
- Contact: Potteries Museum and Art Gallery