Sugar bowl and cover - 'Kestrel' shape
- Object Number: STKMG:1978.P.35
- Simple Name: sugar bowl
- Full Name: sugar bowl and cover
- Production Person: Cooper, Susie (designer)
- Production Place: Burslem
- Production Place: Staffordshire
- Production Place: England
- Production Period:
- Production Organisation: Crown Works (production factory)
- Summary: Sugar bowl and cover - 'Kestrel' shape. Earthenware decorated with a band of green paint near the base, bands of grey above. Cover is sanded in grey, the knop is green. Spoon hole in lid.
- Terms:20th century design
- Additional Notes: Kestrel was the first design to emerge from Susie Cooper Pottery, founded in 1929 by Susie Cooper, who had grown frustrated at A.E. Grays, having to design decoration in isolation from form. Kestrel was typical of her practical modern approach: it poured well and was simple to clean. The wares were an instant success and continued in production well into the 1950s.
- Contact: Potteries Museum and Art Gallery