Photograph of the National Garden Festival Stoke-on-Trent 1986
- Object Number: STKMG:2017.LH.45.11
- Simple Name: photograph
- Summary: Photograph of the National Garden Festival Stoke-on-Trent 1986. Remaining part of the British Steel Shelton Works in the background.
- Terms:social history
- Terms:National Garden Festival
- Related Places:
- Additional Notes: The 1986 National Garden Festival was held mainly on the site of the Shelton Steelworks. It was one of a series of festivals held in the 1980s and early 1990s designed to bring regeneration to derelict land. The reclamation cost around £5 million and had to contend with both contaminated land and mine shafts. The Festival itself cost £18 million. Elements of the 1986 Festival remain in the landscape but much of the site has been reused for retail and leisure and is known as Festival Park.
- Contact: Potteries Museum and Art Gallery