The museum is home to the archaeology of Hulton Abbey, a Cistercian abbey founded by Henry De Audley in 1219.
By the late 13th Century Hulton owned a large area of land, two mills, a fishery, a tannery and a fulling mill. One of the monks’ main sources of income of sheep farming. They owned farms at Hulton, Rushton, Normacot and Mixon. However, the Abbey was relatively poor and small compared to other religious houses in Staffordshire.
Hulton Abbey was dissolved in 1538 on the orders of King Henry VIII. The bells were sold and the roofing lead melted down. Many of the stones were removed to be re-used in local buildngs.
The ruins of the Abbey gradually faded out of sight and were largely forgotten. The construction of a new farm in the 19th century uncovered remains and renewed local interest. Several excavations have taken place since then and the museum is home to many of the artefacts and archives uncovered.